US-grown, organic asparagus is here! A lovely, herbaceous, perennial spring vegetable, asparagus is noted for its delicate and versatile flavor, as well as its diuretic properties. Low in calories and sodium, it is a great source of Vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium, and zinc, as well as dietary fiber, protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, thiamin, riboflavin, rutin, niacin, folic acid, iron, phosphorous, potassium, copper, manganese, chromium and selenium. Asparagus is fast and easy to prep and cook: after a thorough rinse, remove any stiff portion of the shoot with a knife or use your hands to snap it off.
This recipe is great for weekend breakfast or brunch, and great for entertaining!
Asparagus with Poached Eggs
1/2 lb organic asparagus, washed and trimmed
2 Portrero Nuevo Farm eggs
Flower of the Ocean sea salt
red pepper flakes
organic extra virgin olive oil
2 slices Acme Olive Bread
1) Fill a medium saucepan with 3 inches of water and set on high.
2) Heat olive oil in a pan at medium heat. Add asparagus and sautée, tossing regularly, for about 10 minutes.
2) When water boils, crack and add eggs right at the surface so they tumble into the water in one piece. Cover and remove from heat. Set a timer for 3-4 minutes (depending on how runny you like the yolk).
3) Toast bread slices.
4) Check doneness of asparagus by piercing with a fork. If they pierce easily, asparagus are done. Arrange 4-5 stems per plate.
5) When done, remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon. Set atop asparagus, season with pepper flakes and salt. Serve with toast.